Shop invitations + more at Maida-Vale.com

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Building a tiny studio (part 1 of 4).

I'm going off topic for the rest of the week to share some "before + after" photos of the new production studio the hubs and I just finished remodeling. We live in a tiny house in Seattle so space is at a premium (I'm talking two closets in the entire house!). Maida Vale primarily occupies a small loft we call the "treehouse". I have a lovely view of the Olympics on a clear day and lilacs that bloom just outside of the window. As my business grows, however, my need for more space does too. Needless to say, this is a wonderful problem to have.

In December, we decided to finish a small room in our partially underground basement. Together, we are not terribly handy. Fortunately for us, some help from very kind friends and the good old library made the project much less scary. Our goal was to create a space that works for both of us (more on this later) and I think we accomplished that. The "before" photos follow below. I apologize for the quality of these. The remaining images won't be this bad, I promise. Progress photos coming later today... =)


We knocked out the partial drywall shown here and framed all new walls.


The previous owners created a mish mash of walls that we basically erased.


We knocked out this closet to create space for my workspace.


We also replaced this janky old window with a new energy-efficient beauty.

No comments: